This report is part of the Sentencing Spotlight series. These publications present statistics on sentencing outcomes for offences finalised in Queensland courts. Our Sentencing Spotlight on burglary, defined under section 419 of the Criminal Code, provides insight into cases sentenced between July 2005 and June 2018.
Our research found:
- 28,276 cases were sentenced for burglary
- 20,694 cases where this was the most serious offence (MSO)
- 86.6% of offenders were male
- 39.3% were Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- the average age of offenders was 22.9 years
- 99.6% of offenders pleaded guilty
- of the adult offenders sentenced, 47.6% received a term of imprisonment
- for child offenders, burglary was identified as the MSO in 6,270 cases.
Our technical paper explains important terminology, data sources, counting rules and methodologies for our research publications.
Download technical paper