Maintaining an unlawful sexual relationship with a child
This report is part of the Sentencing Spotlight series. These publications present statistics on sentencing outcomes for offences finalised in Queensland courts.
Our Sentencing Spotlight on maintaining an unlawful sexual relationship with a child, defined under section 229B of the Criminal Code,provides insight into cases sentenced between July 2005 and June 2021.
Our research found:
- a total of 977 cases involved maintaining offences
- in 801 cases, maintaining was the most serious offence
- 98% of offenders were male
- the average age of offenders was 38 years old
- 8.7% of offenders were Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- 100% of adult offenders received a custodial penalty.
Our technical paper explains important terminology, data sources, counting rules and methodologies for our research publications.
Download technical paper