Animal welfare offences
This report is part of the Sentencing Spotlight series. These publications present statistics on sentencing outcomes for offences finalised in Queensland courts. Our Sentencing Spotlight on animal welfare offences provides insight into cases sentenced between July 2005 and June 2018.
Our research found:
- 1020 offenders were sentenced for 2416 charges
- 853 cases in Queensland where this was the most serious offence (MSO)
- 260 offenders were banned from owning animals
- 66.7% of offenders were male
- 16.2% were Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander
- the average age of offenders was 36.4 years
- 93.3% of offenders pleaded guilty
- 68.2% were fined
- the average fine given was $1,460.
Our technical paper explains important terminology, data sources, counting rules and methodologies for our research publications.
Download technical paper