Case in Focus
Our Case in Focus series summarises the legal and sentencing principles used in recent high profile or interesting appeal court decisions.
In a simple and user-friendly format, Case in Focus is designed to help the community to better understand what guides an appeal against a sentence.
- R v CBI  QCA 186 (PDF, 2.7 MB)
- R v Simpson  QCA 205 (PDF, 3.1 MB)
- R v Free; Ex parte Attorney-General (Qld)  QCA 58; (2020) 4 QR 80 (PDF, 4.1 MB)
WARNING: The above summary contains subject matter that may be distressing to readers. Explicit material describing an offence against a child, drawn from the Court’s judgment, is included in this case summary.
- R v SCU  QCA 198 (PDF, 3.6 MB)
- R v Cooney  QCA 166 (PDF, 3.3 MB)
- R v Chmieluk; Ex parte Attorney-General (Qld)  QCA 271 (PDF, 3.0 MB)
- R v Muirhead; R v Muirhead; Ex parte Attorney-General (Qld)  QCA 244 (PDF, 4.4 MB)
Case in Focus summaries are incomplete summaries of the Court’s reasons and are not legal advice. The summaries include explanations of legal concepts that are not necessarily set out in the judgments. The summaries are not approved by, or affiliated with, Queensland Courts and are not to be regarded as a substitute for the Court of Appeal’s judgments.