This report is part of the Sentencing Spotlight series. These publications present statistics on sentencing outcomes for offences finalised in Queensland courts.
Our Sentencing Spotlight on rape, defined under section 349 of the Criminal Code, provides insight into cases sentenced between July 2005 and June 2021.
Our research found:
- 2,222 offenders were sentenced for rape
- 1,825 cases where this was the most serious offence (MSO)
- 98.7% of adult offenders received a custodial penalty
- the average prison sentence was 6.6 years
- 98.8% of offenders sentenced for rape were male
- the average age of offenders was 31.6 years
- 239 children were sentenced in Queensland courts for rape
- 30.4% of offences were domestic violence offences
Our technical paper explains important terminology, data sources, counting rules and methodologies for our research publications.
Download technical paper