We've put together a range of sentencing resources aimed at high school and university students.
Sign up to our newsletter to received information about our latest education resources.
You're welcome to download, copy and distribute the resources within your organisation but please do not re-host them on your own website – instead link back to this page so you have the latest version.
Judge for Yourself
Judge for Yourself gives students the opportunity to walk in the judge's shoes and 'sentence' an offender.
These Judge for Yourself workbooks will step you through running an interactive Judge for Yourself session over two lessons.
Each workbook includes learning exercises that focus on key curriculum areas.
- Magistrates Court—Unauthorised dealing with shop goods (PDF, 1.4 MB)
- District Court—Dangerous operation of a vehicle causing death (PDF, 1.5 MB)
- Supreme Court—Trafficking in a dangerous drug (PDF, 1.3 MB)
- Childrens Court—Assault occasioning bodily harm (PDF, 1.4 MB)
You can also book a free Judge for Yourself session to be held at your school. We can deliver this online or in person if you are within a 2-hour drive of Brisbane City.
Teaching Legal Studies for high school students?
We’ve designed these worksheets to help you to deliver the Legal Studies 2019 General Senior Syllabus.
- Know, what, learn, how chart (PDF, 180.4 KB)
- Key legal terms (PDF, 865.2 KB)
- Purposes of sentencing (PDF, 882.0 KB)
- Sentencing options (PDF, 293.9 KB)
- Sentencing options for adults (PDF, 190.4 KB)
- Sentencing factors (PDF, 256.2 KB)
- Sources of law (PDF, 812.1 KB)
- Locating legislation (PDF, 232.1 KB)
- Re-thinking imprisonment (PDF, 783.1 KB)
- Sentence appeals (PDF, 794.1 KB)
- Preparing sentencing remarks (PDF, 201.3 KB)
- Sentencing Spotlight on breach of bail - Resource 1 (PDF, 202.4 KB) (investigative)
- Sentencing Spotlight on breach of bail - Resource 2 (PDF, 201.5 KB) (data analysis)
- Sentencing Spotlight on trafficking in dangerous drugs - Resource 1 (PDF, 227.6 KB) (investigative)
- Sentencing Spotlight on trafficking in dangerous drugs - Resource 2 (PDF, 221.7 KB) (data analysis)
- Indigenous over-representation (PDF, 930.5 KB)
- Court hierarchy (Criminal jurisdiction overview) (PDF, 813.2 KB) (U1 T1)
- Specialist Domestic and Family Violence Court (PDF, 784.2 KB) plus podcast 5 (U1 T1 U3 T1)
- George’s story – the real-life story of a 15-year-old boy unwittingly caught up in sexting
Our posters highlight Queensland sentencing trends in an easy-to-understand way and are a great classroom resource.
- Animal welfare offences (PDF, 425.9 KB)
- Burglary (PDF, 440.9 KB)
- Choking, suffocation and strangulation in a domestic setting (PDF, 426.2 KB)
- Robbery (PDF, 441.8 KB)
- Stalking (PDF, 436.5 KB)
- Breach of bail offences (PDF, 75.8 KB)
- Child exploitation materials (PDF, 80.5 KB)
- Dangerous operation of a vehicle causing death (PDF, 178.9 KB)
- Manslaughter (PDF, 74.6 KB)
- Murder (PDF, 73.3 KB)
- Possession of dangerous drugs (PDF, 71.2 KB)
- Trafficking in dangerous drugs (PDF, 83.9 KB)