Finding useful, interesting and up-to-date resources for your students can be hard.
We've put together a range of sentencing resources aimed at high school and university students.
Sign up to our eAlert to received information about our latest education resources.
You're welcome to download, copy and distribute the resources within your organisation but please do not re-host them on your own website - instead link back to this page to ensure you have the latest version.
- Locating legislation [PDF 221KB]
- Know, what, learn, how chart [PDF 181KB]
- Preparing sentencing remarks [PDF 191KB]
- Sentencing factors [PDF 257KB]
- Sentencing options for adults [PDF 191KB]
- Sentencing Spotlight on breach of bail - Resource 1 (investigative) [PDF 203KB]
- Sentencing Spotlight on breach of bail - Resource 2 (data analysis) [PDF 202KB]
- Sentencing Spotlight on trafficking in dangerous drugs - Resource 1 (investigative) [PDF 227KB]
- Sentencing Spotlight on trafficking in dangerous drugs - Resource 2 (data analysis) [PDF 229KB]
These posters provide infographics for sentencing trends on the following offences:
- Breach of bail offences [PDF 75KB]
- Child exploitation materials [PDF 80KB]
- Manslaughter [PDF 74KB]
- Murder [PDF 73KB]
- Offences and trends: Queensland Magistrates Courts [PDF 141KB]
- Offences and trends: Queensland Supreme and District Courts [PDF 173KB]
- Possession of dangerous drugs [PDF 71KB]
- Trafficking in dangerous drugs [PDF 83KB]
Judge for Yourself
Every week in Queensland, our courts sentence people who have broken the law. But have you ever wondered how judges and magistrates decide what sentence to give?
This interactive program provides you with the opportunity to walk in the judge's shoes and 'sentence' an offender.
Hear the court case. Decide the sentence Judge for Yourself.
You can also book a free Judge for Yourself workshop to be held at your school if you are within 2 hours drive of Brisbane City.
Find out the roles of the following judicial officers in court:
- Childrens Court Magistrate
- Police prosecutor (magistrates court)
- Prosecutor (district & supreme court)
- Queensland Sentencing Guide - a guide to help demystify the sentencing process
- Sentencing Matters podcast - an in-depth explanation of different aspects of sentencing in Queensland, Australia, and internationally
- Sentencing Spotlights - data on sentencing outcomes for offences finalised in Queensland Courts
- Presentation recordings - insight into sentencing issues of the day
- Sentencing A–Z - definitions of commonly used sentencing terms
- George’s story - the real life story of a 15-year old boy unwittingly caught up in sexting